Saturday, October 31, 2015

a clean home

To say I am crazy for fresh air is an understatement (my husband can attest to windows wide open even in the dead of winter).


Perhaps that's why I am such a home wrecker when it comes to those synthetic plug-ins, plug-outs and hang-ups. Just can't stand them. In fact, when touring houses with clients, I tend to do the seller a favor and remove their plug-ins from walls/countertops/behind the washer/wherever they hide them (I know, not cool, but I am doing them a favor).


Beyond the fact that a synthetic tropical/vanilla/maple sugar smell is always detected by the passerby; creating the question, "what are they covering up?", a lot of people are highly allergic to these products and let's face it - chemicals are never good (something we all learned in the eighties).

A number of years ago I represented a client whose auto immune system made it impossible for her to use chemically-laden cleaning products. At that time I was using bleach, bleach and more bleach. Thanks to Sally, I became familiar with more natural, environmentally friendly cleaning products.  In fact, she started me on my journey of making my own cleaning products - thank you dear, lovely Sally!

Below are a few of my very favorite, go-to recipes for a cleaner and greener home, a home that should start feeling and smelling like fresh air with the scent of clean riding on its back!

LEMON DUST CLOTHS
step one
Make a solution of 1 cup water, 1 cup distilled white vinegar, 2 drops of olive oil. Soak your cotton rags in this solution. Squeeze out any excess water, leaving them damp. 

step two
Pare the rind from 1 lemon and lay a couple of pieces on each smoothed-out cloth. 

step three
Roll each rag and store in a clean, airtight jam jar with an extra piece of lemon peel. 

..............................................................

DEODORIZING DRAINS
Pour 1 cup of vinegar down the drain, leave for 30 minutes, then flush with cold water.

Vinegar and baking soda works even better! Pour 2 Tablespoons baking soda down the drain followed by half a cup of vinegar. Let  bubble for 20 minutes, then flush with old water for 1 minute. 

.................................................................

WASHING PAINTED WALLS
Combine 2 parts vinegar, 1 part baking soda and 3 parts warm water. 

Dip a cloth in the solution and wipe down the walls, working top to bottom; rinse with clean water. 



Until next time,

la chasse au bonheur


No comments:

Post a Comment